A story of a business

 in lieu of "My Uncle's Alders", a post about my business

I've been working in theatre since I was a sophomore in high school. I'm 29 now. It's been, quite honestly, the longest adventure of my life. I often think on how we treat kids talking about time, they haven't seen their friend since last Tuesday and they act as though several ice ages have passed them by and the distances of their friendship are near insurmountable. To us, it's absurd. We chuckle at how little they know and how far they will come, but to them it really is that long. What percentage of their whole life is a day compared to your own? Some will laugh when I say I've spent over a decade in a career and I'm ready to move on, there's people who do what I do now and they've been doing it since the the 80's. To them, I'm still the new kid on the block and they wonder how I could possibly be ready to leave.

I am, though. Ready to leave. Ready for a new adventure. You see, there's a lot I don't like about theatre. The hours are insane, the schedules are the polar opposite of possibly every friend I've ever had, and the amount of times I've thought "hm, I may be about to die" while on a swaying platform thirty feet in the air is genuinely just too high to count. There's also enough to love about what I do that I could fill novels and never quite grasp the essence of it. The making of art, of working together in this crazy place surrounded by all of my crazy colleagues to make this crazy thing that people will come and see. Those people will laugh and smile, or they'll cry and contemplate what it is to be human. Theatre is a strange thing but at the heart of it is creating something for people to see and experience.

That right there, that's what I want to do. I want to create things for people to see and experience, but beyond that I want to make things they can use. I want to build tools for people to make and create and communicate all their own ideas as far and wide as they can. I could get into the nitty gritty of what I want to make, the things I think I can make happen, and how I plan to run a company. All of that is important, it's critical to having a successful to business to know the fundamentals of how it will run. But before all that, before I thought about all the numbers and the technology and the infrastructure, I just thought about the dream. I used a tool I didn't like much and I just thought "why hasn't anyone done better". Eventually, finally, I decided "well why don't I just do better". So I will.

This story of mine is just beginning. It will start with me, a computer, and a lot of hours writing code. I hope it will grow, I hope that people will use what I make and that it will inspire them into creation of their own. I hope that one day I can have company with a team of people who I enjoy working with, who enjoy what we do, and build a community around us that we can support. But just now, today, I will content myself with planning the dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Startup.com

How not to sell anything

A Visit from Erik Hanberg