Crafting of the Sites!

Brian Forth, founder & owner of Sitecrafting came to visit our class recently and talked to us about the realities of running a company. He told us his story, really, and I found it quite reassuring on the whole. Sitecrafting sounds like it started in much the way I'd like for my company to start: One man, one product, no venture capital, and whole lot of elbow grease. It seems like Brian started small, doing some web design for his friends and locals and slowly, bit by bit, built a foundation to stand on. Over the years his company has grown and his team has brought on a diverse pool of talent so Sitecrafting can create "digital experiences", as they call them.

 I really enjoy the Sitecrafting story. It resonates, the idea that you can start something yourself and grow it out, bit by bit, and one day you'll notice this living, breathing, organism all around you that you've built.  To me, it's what a business should be. It's having an idea, forming a mission, and then just getting out there and doing it. I mention their mission, and honestly I even borrowed a bit from their mission statement when crafting my own. "To craft digital experiences that inspire, empower and delight." What a goddamn phrase, I feel inspires, empowered, and delighted just reading it. 

I hope that one day I might be in a classroom like ours, telling a story like Brian's, with a mission statement that's half as cool.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Startup.com

A Visit from Erik Hanberg

How not to sell anything