#1 What I want out of TINST 475

 Well I think I'd like to feel prepared to start a business at the end of this. 

I have a few ideas for things I'd like to do, software I'd like to build, but I often feel aimless in how to start, or even what part to start with. Do I build software, then think about the rest? Do I develop a whole business plan then start building software? What happens if I plan a whole venture around a specific project and then find that project just doesn't work? I have some experience working for a startup that gives me a little insight into what I can expect but at the same time lets me know there's a lot still to learn. 

At the end of this I want to pick a project and run with it. I want to see what ideas can slot together, and which ones end up on the back burner. Ideally I'd like a better idea of what projects will work and how to penetrate into a market with them. Several of my ideas are for a niche industry that's going to be a little complicated to break into, so I want to have a better understanding of how to market software and the ways I can build a base to launch with. I have some thoughts on things like maybe capturing the student market and letting residuals coast in as they become professionals, or canvassing at industry events but the marketing end of things has never been my problem. I think most fundamentally I want to figure out where to draw the line between "things I need to learn to do" and "things I need someone else to know how to do" before I launch headlong into launching a product.

Popular posts from this blog

How not to sell anything

Startup.com

A Visit from Erik Hanberg