Name, Catch phrase, logo.

It feels like every name for a company is already taken. I had the idea to call it Windborne, but that is the name of a European band. Then I thought about Tailwind, which is the name of a CSS library. To my knowledge I could still call it either of those things but I'm worried about searchability for the future. To be fair, what people really need to be able to search for is product names so the company name can be a little more generic.

For the time being I'm thinking I'll stick with Windborne, I just like the sound of it and it opens us up to a wonderful catch phrase: "It's smooth sailing from here". Perfect out the gate, I'm definitely not here because I already own the domain. In reality this is all still subject to change but it's a direction that I'm enjoying. For a while I thought about Strange & Interesting Software Design in tip of the hat to Little Shop but there is not a good domain for that. I reduced myself to considering ampersand.dev and even that one is taken. A friend of mine had the idea to make a play on words and call it Talewind, then take a more storytelling centric marketing approach. It isn't a bad idea and I like the sound of it but I keep having the thought that people will consistently accidentally end up on the CSS people's site. So for now, at least, we're Windborne Design & Development. 

For a logo I'm thinking a sail in full wind. I kind of want just the outline of the sail and a gradient in from there to show that it's full of wind pulling us along. I've done a few concept runs but haven't come up with something I really like yet. I might just have to surrender to actually hiring a graphic designer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Startup.com

How not to sell anything

A Visit from Erik Hanberg