How not to sell anything

 Sales and marketing has never been my strong suit. I've often felt like sales was a profession full of snakes who would try to sell anything to anyone in order to make a quick buck. Incredibly recently I have had my point of view radically reset. You see, the stereotypes aren't necessarily wrong, but they aren't about sales or marketing people: they're about con artists. Selling anything to anyone at any price you can isn't sales. No, no, that's just scamming, plain and simple.

Sales is a complex beast. It's knowing what you can do, figuring out who needs it, and puzzling together just how you fit in. Good sales isn't just exchanging money for a product, it's building a relationship to provide something to someone who needs it.

I'm going to switch gears here a bit and just talk about business people, generally. Often times, business leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Bowing and cow-towing to the almighty god-numbers of the stock market and laying any shred of dignity atop the sacrificial altar of shareholder dignity seems to be the raison d'etre of every person in the fortune 500 and it infuriates me. But, and it's a sizable but, that is not what business is. Through the course of this quarter I have been convinced that business is building something to serve others. It serves one's own interest, yes, after all we do all need to make a living. But a good business serves many people's many needs. It employs people, proving salary and benefits to those who need them. It provides products and services to those who need them. Business is an integral part of community, where "business" is simply the ways by which we support each other in our society. 

Perhaps soon I'll be doing my own sales, building my own business, and serving my own community. What a dream!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Startup.com

Ideas for Business